Summary: Critical Race Theory (CRT) is a radical theory, rooted in Marxism, that claims that all of our society is divided into oppressed identity groups predicated along race and sex, with minorities being the oppressed while white people, heterosexuals, males, or other ‘dominant’ groups serve as the oppressor.
CRT has spread far beyond college campuses, reaching deep into nearly all facets of American society. The U.S. military and Department of Defense (DOD) are no exception. Some recent examples of CRT’s advance within the ranks of the service branches:
- The Biden administration officially reversed the Trump administration’s prohibition on promoting CRT through so-called “diversity training.” DOD swiftly reinstated such training.
- The Navy released a recommended reading list of books in March 2021 for its sailors that included noted CRT provocateur Ibram X. Kendi, who not only embraces CRT, but also advocates for a Department of Anti-Racism to police thoughts and discriminate against white Americans.
- A Marine reservist blew the whistle on a March “stand down” order to address alleged “extremism” within the Corps. This extremism was characterized in part by holding “anti-government,” “anti-authority,” and “anti-abortion” views.
In an effort to stymie the growing embrace of CRT and ‘woke orthodoxy’ in the day-to-day activities and culture of the service branches, Sen. Tom Cotton (R-AR) introduced S. 968–with Rep. Dan Bishop (R-NC) introducing its House counterpart–to prohibit the promotion of such theories.
The Combating Racist Training in the Military Act of 2021:
- Prohibits the military, service academies, and the DOD from promoting theories that any race is superior or inferior to another.
- Specifically, it prohibits the promotion of the idea that founding documents like the Declaration of Independence or Constitution are fundamentally racist, prohibits teaching the idea that an individual’s race inherently makes them racist, and forbids embracing theories that claim individuals bear responsibility for the actions committed by members of his or her race.
- Prohibits the military from contracting with speakers, contractors, or firms for the purpose of advancing CRT and other racist theories.
- Defines “promotion” as using curricula, workshops, and training to advocate such theories as well as compelling service members to affirm or profess belief in such notions. It also prohibits segregating service members by race in any setting for any purpose.
The men and women of the U.S. military are more than just the sword and shield called upon to defend the republic from our enemies. They are the very embodiment of the American idea, fulfilling and showcasing the creed that all men are created equal and tasked with defending our unalienable rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Efforts by far-left officials in both the civilian and military bureaucracy to corrupt the culture and cripple the purpose of the military through radical Marxist ideologies like CRT must be stopped at all costs. The promotion of CRT in the military poses an existential threat to our national security and a clear and present danger to the republic.
Sign up to receive the latest from Center for Renewing America and Citizens for Renewing America